Monday, August 18, 2008

ashley & kerri

Cyclist: Kerri Flanagan (pictured right)

Hometown: Ottawa, ON

Location spotted: Heading west on St. Joseph

Destination and distance: Going to Ashley’s house, 3K.

Cycling months: Until the snow falls.

First bike: I think it had a banana seat and I remember we used to bike around the block over and over again.

Current ride: A Raleigh Oasis. My sister bought it for me from a church basement.

Number bikes stolen: One.

Interesting bike story: My roommate’s bike got stolen from our front porch. A couple days later, I was at work, and left at two in the morning. I walked across the street to unlock my bike and I went to put my key in the lock, but it wasn’t my bike, it was my roomate’s bike. I took a step back, and I looked and my bike was parked next to it. So whoever took the bike happened to park it right next to my bike at my work. It was the most insane coincidence. So I went to find my friend, we went back and left a note that said, “This is my bike, you either stole my bike or bought a stolen bike.” So I locked it to a tree with my lock. We went back the next morning and the note was gone and the person’s lock was gone. My friend got her bike back!

Thoughts on biking and fashion: Coming from Ottawa, I find Montreal very different. In Ottawa, everyone has all the gear. They’re decked out in spandex and shirts with the pockets. But here, everyone rides a bike in gladiator sandals (laughs and motions to Ashley). Montrealers are much more adventurous.

Dream bike: I’d like to have one of each kind of bike for every occasion: a speed bike, a mountain bike and a nice little city bike.

Why do you bike: Because it’s quicker than walking, it’s really cheap and it’s exercise without doing exercise.

Biking pet peeve: Drivers who don’t see bicycles as a vehicle. They see them as a nuisance and don’t get out of the way.

Bike Tip: Be assertive. If you have to take up the whole lane, that’s fine. Just let cars go around you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love the cool outfits that you all seem to cycle in. Biking has got getting bigger and bigger in London in the last couple of years, but you are definitely beating us on the style front! :-/

Ze said...

I just stumbled upon your gem of a blog. These are all people in my neighbourhood, and I even went to primary school with one of your bikers. LOL !!
Love the stories. Love the people. Love the pics. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Phew. Glad that's out of my system.

bikebyshootings said...

hey thanks ze. glad you stumbled upon our stuff. merci for the positivity.