Monday, September 1, 2008

jeff



Cyclist: Jeff McMahon

Hometown: Portland, OR

Location spotted: Playing night bike polo

Destination and distance: From the Mile-End to Pointe Sainte-Charles, 8K.

Cycling months: All months

First bike: A blue, 20-inch BMX Current ride: A mid-80’s Venture frame that came from an auction. I stripped it down because everything was bad on it. I paid maybe 10 bucks for the frame.

Number of bikes: Five working ones.

Number bikes stolen: Three. The last one I got back. It happened the first month I came to Montreal last year. A month later after I had given up on it, I saw someone walking it down the street. I confronted them, started describing everything on the bike so they would know that I’m just not trying to pull a fast one on them. They very happily returned it to me. It was very non-confrontational.

Number of bike accidents: I quit counting. When not cycling: I’m fixing bikes and trying to feed myself.

Favourite ride: Riding in downtown Portland from the North side is pretty fun.

Thoughts on biking and fashion: They go pretty well together. A lot of people have developed their fashion to be practical while cycling and that’s cool.

Number of years biking: 18 out of 24.

Dream bike: A real old lugged classic Italian frame.

Discovery through biking: I came to Quebec a year ago and hadn’t really left the city until this summer and I found hills in Shawinigan a couple of weeks ago…Montreal is pretty flat. Why do you bike: I like staying fit and active. I enjoy riding in traffic and around people. It’s kind of like an obstacle course.

Biking pet peeve: Low tire pressure.

Bike Tip: Use lubricant on your chain and use it often. Wipe your chain after you’re done lubing it, otherwise it will pick up dirt and sand and stuff.

No comments: